Thursday, April 8, 2010

Shrine in bloom

The cherry blossoms are in full swing here in Yamanashi right now so I figured I'd post a couple pictures. Myself, Aiyana, and Yvonne walked back to the the local shrine for some photos and some time to just hang out and enjoy the scenery before they left the orchard. (We did this two days ago, and they left yesterday morning)

(Click to embiggen)
Quite pretty isn't it? I certainly think so. At any rate, work moves on. We have been picking blossoms so that we can harvest the pollen and use that for all the other trees later on. Lots of ladder work and looking around checking for places you haven't already picked. Work wise, not to entertaining, but today after work was fun. We took a walk to some nearby shops to try and find me a Japanese style coat like the one Kazu has been wearing. (I love traditional Japanese style clothing) I don't even remember the name, but it's one of those garments that you look at and say to yourself "Man that looks warm and comfy." Sadly it seems that it is no longer the season to buy them.

On the up side, The new WWOOFers we got think It's great that I came here to learn Japanese and are helping me. We spent this evening going over some stuff from my text book. I translated a conversation (with a little help from the dictionary) and I got quizzed on some vocabulary that I haven't studied since December. Also, one of the new girls has made it her personal mission to make sure I can recite the days of the week on command in any order. She'll walk up to me and just say a day of the week, and I have to respond with Japanese translation. (I still have trouble with Monday and Tuesday)

Oh yeah, I guess I need to introduce the new guys. We got a boy and a girl from Taiwan and a girl from Hon Kong. The boy's name is Nick. So far he's been pretty quite. He doesn't speak Japanese, but he knows English well enough. It seems the name of the girl from Taiwan has already escaped my memory. I remember it seemed like more of a sound then a name though. She speaks Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, and English. (Apparently the national language of Taiwan is Chinese not Taiwanese. So many Taiwanese people don't actually speak Taiwanese.) The girl from Hon Kong is named Remmy. She speaks Chinese, Japanese, and English.

So since Rachael and Viola are also from Taiwan, all the other WWOOFers speak Chinese as their native tongue. This is not quite what I was expecting, but its kind of cool anyway. (Its sort of problematic for my goal of become more competent in Japanese though.) They have taught me a few words of Chinese, and apparently I have very good pronunciation, enough for them to have surprised looks on their faces.

Well, once again I've stayed up later then I should have. Time for sleep. Oyasuminasai. (That's Japanese for "good night")

~Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment