Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Fish Slap

I think I got beaten by a fish. I developed a stomach ache this afternoon, and i think it was due to the fish I had at breakfast. It had nothing to do with how the fish was cooked, but rather how it was presented. Whole fish, head, tail, skin, everything but the eyes it looked like. sliced up the belly and laid out so that the dorsal fin was in the center of the two halves. Kind of like some bizarre aquatic butterfly. I walk into Yoko's this morning and before I even get into the kitchen i can smell the fish. I walk through the curtain and see this thing staring at me from the plate.
(Photo Provided by Vioal. She ate part of hers before taking the photo, but you can see an untouched one across the table slightly out of focus.)

Now, I know full well that people in Asia eat fish like this fairly regularly. I've seen it it movies and Anime many many times. But for some reason, coming face to face to my food like this actually kinda scared me. I flipped it over as soon as was polite and began to pick at the meat. Having never eaten fish like this, consuming it was a very slow process, made slower by the use of chopsticks. (Actually I hardly ever eat fish in America. I'm not a huge fan of the taste. I'd say 95% of my fish intake is through sushi, which for some reason I find delicious despite my dislike of the cooked product.) But the Image of that fish's hallow eye sockets stayed with me all morning, and when it came time to eat lunch I had a stomach ache and couldn't eat very much of my lunch (which also happened to have fish).

Fortunately I got over my stomach ache with the help of some medicine from Yoko, and was back to full capacity by Dinner. And to counter my fear of more fish, I entered the dinning room this evening to find a plate with a hamburger patty covered in some sort of sauce. Not quite how you would eat a hamburger in America, but still, it was a ground beef patty for a little taste of home.

Well, sorry for any Haunting imagery I may have used in this entry. In compensation, here is a photo of Mini Mike and Brandy I took this afternoon, as well as an image of what our lunches sometimes look like.

That's right, several pounds of SUSHI!

~Daniel

4 comments:

  1. I remember having the same experience when my dad ordered fish at a Mexican restaurant.

    If it was a small fish I think I could handle it, but its easy to say that I guess.

    And to think the Chinese eat birds with their heads on *shutter*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie says; "Nyaaaaaaaaaaahhhh, how cute! Teh pwetty kittys! Give them the fish, being cute to that degree takes effort."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan,

    WWOOF was mentioned in a NY Times article on far out (literally) places to live!

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/garden/15alone.html?pagewanted=3&partner=rss&emc=rss

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually these cats are pretty spoiled when it comes to what kind of food they have the opportunity to eat. They get sushi and squid and whatever else happens to be put into our lunches. I've seen a full bowl of Miso soup outside their little house. Kazu is quite good to them.

    ReplyDelete