Sunday, May 9, 2010

missing

Before I came to Japan I loaded up my laptop with pictures of my friends and family. I did this so that If I missed them I could look at the pictures. Also, e-mail helps quite a bit. As a result I really don't spend time actively missing anything from home. Its all more of the passive missing feeling that stems from seeking something familiar and comfortable.

What I didn't prepare for before I left, and in fact hadn't even considered, was how I would miss the new people I would meet. In setting up this trip, my concerns were based on travel arrangements and lodging concerns. Do I have a plane ticket? Do I have place to stay for the duration? Check and Check, Ok, time to pack. I never stopped to consider the other people who would be guests here on the orchard. I didn't realize that I would be making so many friends here. Even though I have pictures of these people, I still find myself thinking of them often and missing them to pieces.

I think what might be doing it is the fact that I have no idea when/if I'll see these people again. For everybody back at home, I know that I'll be able to see them again once I return to the US. But I have no idea when/if I'm going to be able to make it to Hong Kong, Taiwan, or even France. Before now I never really had a reason to visit any of these places. Now I find myself wanting to plan trips so I can go visit these people and spend more time with them. But I know that's not going to happen until after I graduate. And even then, who knows. I guess I'll live on the chance that some of them may come to San Francisco and we can meet up there.

To the men and women (Ok, I'll be honest, its mostly women) Who I've met but have already left the Orchard: I Miss you and look forward to seeing you again sometime.

To friends family and acquaintances back home: I'll see you in June.

~Daniel

2 comments:

  1. That's so sweet :) I have confidence that you'll meet them again. I'm sure that upon meeting you have forever marked their lives (but in a good way!)

    ReplyDelete