Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Wrap this one around your head.

So It looks like It's still going to be a day or two before I get the time to do a huge update. I've just been having a bit too much fun to want to sit down and work on the computer for the 2 hours necessary. For instance, Today we spent an hour or two trying to get this thing on my head.

The girl in the picture next to me is a Sikh from Finland named Sara. (She belongs to a very very small religious minority in Finland. Its a small fraction of that tiny little 'other' wedge of the pie chart) I have never had the oportunity to talk to a Sikh so I've been asking her a lot of questions. (Mostly about the turban) Apparently It takes like 6 months of practice to be able to tie it on your own and still have it look good. I asked if she could show me how to tie it, and she very kindly agreed. The process took about 10 minutes. After attempting to tie one on myself using my sarong she offered to loan me one of her pieces of cloth (Her's are about 5 meters long and 8 inches wide my sarong is about 5'x3'). However since I don't have long hair, I couldn't tie it in the same way she did. Her hair is actually wrapped into the turban, which is what keeps it in place. Lacking that anchor, we didn't have much luck getting the cloth to stay in place while we were wrapping it around my head. After many failed attempts by myself and Sara and about 3 other people I finally managed to figure out something that worked. After we got the one end firmly attached to my skull, I let Sara finish the wrapping which resulted in the above. Obaa-chan was much amused.

So yeah, Fun stuff this evening. If you know about my tendency to wear bandannas, they you can probably guess how happy this made me. It was one of those times where my cheeks were hurting because I was smiling too much. But rest assured, on my next boring night I'll give you guys lots of pictures, and a long update. But I have no idea when that will be, so please be patient, sorry.

~Daniel

1 comment: