Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Meanwhile, during finals....

So in the midst of all this heavy rain we've been having here in Oita, I managed to leave my umbrella on a train on Friday. I didn't realize it until after I'd already left Oita station on my way to Saga to visit Mary for the long weekend (That turned into a 6 hour trip because of rain based delays. Normally it takes 3). Today I asked around the station for the lost and found, and inquired about my missing property. Sadly it had not been turned in. And although I shall mourn the loss of my little pink and brown umbrella, I did find it in a gutter in San Francisco, so it's not like I paid any money for it. Hopefully somebody is keeping a little more dry because of my mistake, just as I have been kept dry because of somebody else's.

Finals have also started up. This morning I gave a presentation in Japanese, and took my Level 3 Grammar and Conversation final. Although both could certainly have been better, I'm not disappointed with either (Which is a rare thing when it comes to Japanese tests). Finals (And regular classes) will be going on until August 3rd. After tomorrow I'll be completely done with two of my classes, and preparing for the finals in the other 7.

Amid all that crazy stuff I have been doing some fun stuff too. I've been learning how to dress in traditional Japanese clothing. There's quite a bit of knot work (Which I rather enjoy), enough that when Japanese people want to dress up, they often have to go to a dresser, because young people don't learn how to do it anymore. Fortunately one of Mary's friends is a professional dresser, and teacher of dressing, and I have been able to learn from her.

(This is me in a Yukata and Hakkama. Tied them both myself)

I have also been learning how to do the Women's knots. Well, one of them so far anyway. There are lots. (I learned it first actually.) Sadly I didn't get a picture of the bow in the back, but I did the knot work for the girl in the black and pink Yukata with the red and yellow Obi (Belt)

(Mary's friends getting ready for a fireworks festival)

Anyway, I'm up way past my bed time. Hope everybody is doing well. Until next time, take care.

~Daniel


No comments:

Post a Comment