Monday, January 28, 2013

On a better note..

Since my last two entries weren't terribly uplifting I figured I'd share some of the more awesome stuff I do on occasion here in Japan. Today just happened to be one of those days. I know a retired Japanese guy named Eiji who has made it his task in life to try out all of the onsen in Beppu. (Eiji studied in Texas a few years ago where he met Leon, who was my neighbor here in the Kaikan last semester.) For those of you not familiar with Beppu, it is a onsen resort city with somewhere around one thousand onsen. In addition to being a guru of the local onsen, Eiji likes spending time with exchange students so that he can practice using his English. 

So this morning Eiji came and picked up myself and one other exchange student and took us to two different Onsesn in Beppu. The first was one of Beppu's "Hidden Onsen" which are natural onsen up in the mountains that anybody can go to for free, provided they can find it. The one we went to was located on a creek. It was really awesome. 

After the hidden onsen, Eiji took us to our next destination, which was at a big hotel resort. This place offers an All you can eat Buffet + Onsen combo pack (Which Eiji treated us to). So we had a nice lunch and then went up to the hotels rooftop resort to relax for a few hours. It was definitely a different feeling then the natrual onsen, but it was still totally awesome. The view overlooking Beppu and the Bay was great. (We had surprisingly good weather for this time of year).



(I don't know what you did this morning, but it was likely not as relaxing as what I did.) 

All and all I'm guessing this is the least stressful Monday during a finals period that I've ever had.

~Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment