Thursday, September 13, 2012

Nakagomi


I've been back in Yamanashi working on the orchard for the past week. Today is a day off so I figure it's a good time to update this blog and post a few pictures. Currently it's the season for Grapes, Plums, and Pears. Peaches are no longer on the trees, but they have some that they've been keeping in the freezer. And although they don't grow any on this farm, it is also rice harvesting season. I've been having a ton of fun working on the orchard. Well, I don't know if you'd call it fun. But I'm very fulfilled. I've been able to use a weed whacker again, so I finally feel like it's summer. (I've worked for Marin County Open Space on Trail and Ranger Crew for 7 years. Cutting grass is kinda my signal that summer has truly begun.) Anyway, enjoy some photos.

(Fuji without snow on top. This only happens for like 6 weeks a year. It already has snow on it again)

(Peaches. Delicious, Gigantic Peaches.)



(Rice paddies! These things are all over. The harvest season has just started it seems)

(Close up of rice that's about ready to be harvested)

(This is how they dry out the rice once it's been harvested)


(The recption area for fruit picking. This is where the money is made)

(Grapes, Japanese style. Each bunch will cost you about $8 if you wanted to buy it at the market)

(This is where customers eat the grapes they pick. It's rather nice in the vineyard)

(Daniel, Destroyer of Grass)

No comments:

Post a Comment